Image by Dave & Charlotte
There’s no doubt about it, one of the theatrical highlights of any Jewish wedding is when the groom stamps his foot and smashes that glass (is it any surprise that it’s the Jewish wedding tradition this blog is named after?!).
For me, the breaking of the glass is THE moment of a Jewish wedding. With cries of ‘mazal tov’, cheering, clapping and hollering, it’s a great time to play your favourite party song to kickstart the celebrations, smooch your beloved for the first time as man and wife, and joyously embrace your loved ones.
You may want to choose a tune that’s personal to you as a couple, or perhaps something brilliantly traditional like Siman Tov U Mazal Tov or Hava Nagila, but if you want to pump up the party atmosphere, choose any one of following 20 songs.
The first 10 tunes are my top picks, whilst the following 10 come courtesy of Maya Bechor from Zebra Music, who’s an expert at gently encouraging couples to step out of their comfort zone of ordinary “wedding music”.
All 20 tunes are also handily compiled in this Spotify playlist for your entertainment pleasure.
Oh… and for the perfect accessory for smashing the glass, you’ll want one of our own-brand smash glass pouches!
Are there any other ‘breaking the glass songs’ you’ve you heard that really got the party started? Let me know in the comments section below!
1. Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder
2. I Got You (I Feel Good) by James Brown
3. Love is in the air by John Paul Young
4. You Got The Love by The Source feat. Candi Statton
5. Feeling Good by Michael BublÃ©
6. I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
7. Crazy In Love by BeyoncÃ©
8. Celebration by Kool & The Gang
9. We Are Family by Sister Sledge
10. Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen
11. Happy by Pharrell Williams
12. Get Down (You’re The One For Me) by Backstreet Boys
13. Love, Love, Love by Avalanche City
14. Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols